Event planning for O'Day 2008. (This page is locked on the filesystem as an anti-spam measure.)
Current forecast is a fine day, maximum temperature 35 degrees. SLIP SLOP SLAP and DRINK PLENTY OF WATER
O'Day is on between 1030h - 1530h WDST, 29th February 2008.
UCC is stall A08, on the Reid Library (northern) side of James Oval. Map attached to http://zanchey.ucc.asn.au/oday08.pdf - we are next to CSSC and UniSFA/Unigames.
Count as of 16th Feb, 8:53PM
S: 2 M: 1 L: 9 XL: 4 XXL: 1
Grabbing New Members
SMS screen (any chance of this?)
- Arrange new-member escorts to the room - the bottom of Cameron Hall seemed to have a distinct "you're not supposed to be here" feel, and it would also give the new members a friend right off the bat.
- Arrange people to talk to small groups of freshers in the room.
- Either team up with other Cameron Hall clubs for BIG A2 signage on doors and ground outside or go it alone.
- Give new members a token for a free coke (their first dispense encounter!) and get them into the room for a chat with a few friendly 2nd years.
StevenLazidis: I think the free drink thing for new members worked well last year, the machine needed a sign though, the freshers couldn't find it sitting in plain sight in the middle of the room.
More cool things?
Big A0 posters are required. Any from last year still available?
Posters need to have the UCC name on them in an obvious way, rather than just being you-beaut pictures - it would be nice if poster designs were consistent. Who can help?
- Update posters of various groups (Coke, Door etc)
- UCC is older than the Deparment of Computer Science - 34th year this year.
- Cool stuff:
- Internet coke machine - only one in Australia!
- Manbo: Sun Enterprise server with 14 CPUs and 12 GB of RAM, running the latest Solaris Express
- Clubroom - dozens of different sorts of computers. Eat your e-mail, read your lunch.
- Access to webspace, e-mail, free WAIX
- For CS students: an excellent way to get exposure to the stuff you won't get taught.
- For non-CS students: a chance to play with the kind of equipment you only see in university and corporate environments.
- Gamers as well - LANs etc
- Not just a student club. Plenty of interesting people around
- People working on Mozilla, GNOME, Flock^WSongbird (Yakk's still old guard, right?), Linux, Avahi, plenty of other stuff
- A social club, too - our myraid events (like what?)
- Close relationship with other CH clubs - but you don't have to join them all
- Begin today by going up to the club, and come to Fresher's Welcome Pizza Night next week and AGM shortly after
WorldOfWarcraft is less of an issue this year, but try not to push the computer games thing too hard.
See http://zanchey.ucc.asn.au/ucc-2008/ for all publications.
Freshers Guide: first draft written Assigned to [LAW] and [DAA] - based on http://www.ucc.asn.au/infobase/freshguide/freshers-guide-2007.odt PRINTED
Forms: in progress: based on http://davyd.ucc.asn.au/ucc-test/2007membershipform.pdf PRINTED
Cards: in progress Printing in progress. Assigned to [PXY] PRINTED
UCC owes PXY: $158
(In name - time - what format)
- Stuart Paton - All Day - where ever
StevenLazidis - Maybe afternoon - wherever needed.
- Byron Pogson - Until 2ish - where ever needed
- Conrad Pogson - All Day, wherever needed.
LukeWilliams - All day, Clubroom Welcoming Committee
- Alix Chinnery - Morning until 2pm (ish) - at the stall, wherever needed.
- Rufus Garton Smith - All day, anywhere out of the sun.
DavidAdam - Morning until 12:30 or so
DavydMadeley - all day
Fresher's Guide - writing day on 16 Feb DONE
Membership forms DONE
Membership cards DONE (enough lamination pouches?)
- design posters
drink vouchers - get stickers from DavydMadeley - PXY has CSV and glabels templates
The few days before
- print posters
- check committee can add new members
- check machines are all working
On the day
- vacuum clubroom
- DECterm for drinks
- get marquee out of TRS' car
- pick up tables, pinup boards (bring $5 deposit)
- set up posters, banners