Added some suggestions
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 27:||Line 27:|
| * PuTTY
* CD Burning Software ''such as? possibilities include http://www.deepburner.com/''
| * PuTTY ''also add the binary directory to %PATH% [RVS]''
* CD Burning Software ''such as? possibilities include http://www.deepburner.com/ and http://infrarecorder.sourceforge.net/''
|Line 40:||Line 40:|
|* DirectX 9 runtime|
|Line 44:||Line 45:|
|* NetBeans? Not nearly as massive (but still quite large)|
|Line 48:||Line 50:|
| * Thunderbird or another mail client
* an MPC client (http://sccs.swarthmore.edu/~cbr/PlayGUI/)
| * an X11 server, perhaps the one packaged with Cygwin
* Thunderbird or another mail client ''Second [RVS]''
* an MPD client (http://sccs.swarthmore.edu/~cbr/PlayGUI/) ''how about gmpc + gtk? [RVS]''
One day, it would be nice to have a standard operating environment for UCC clubroom machines. Currently the state of them could be described as varying degrees of broken, partly due to having no defined procedure for setting them up. The purpose of this page is to brainstorm what this procedure should be.
Steps marked with require a wheel member, anything else can be done by a winadmin.
Steps to do before/during installation
Add forward and reverse DNS entries for the machine. Not essential for setup
Add the machine to DHCP. Not essential for setup
Add the machine to Samba (create a local account for it on musundo). Probably only needs to be added in LDAP, and thus could be made available to winadmins via ACLs
Install Windows XP SP2 and configure it to be part of the domain 'UCCDOMAIN'. why does this require wheel rights?
- Install device drivers (graphics and sound most importantly).
- Set up printing.
- Add Winadmins to computer administrators.
- Configure WPKG.
- Turn Windows Updates on to fully-automatic.
Software to install
Software in this list should either be free to download and install, or something that the UCC has a license for.
- Media Player 11
- Adobe Reader
PuTTY also add the binary directory to %PATH% [RVS]
F-Prot Antivirus more details coming once [DAA] fixes the ACLs
- Flash player
- Daemon Tools
- Windows Live messenger
- Java Runtime Environment
- Google Talk
- irfanview (and the plugin that knows about jpeg orientation jfif tags)
winscp filezilla is probably a better option [DAA]
- DirectX 9 runtime
- Eclipse? Massive but apparently Java programmers love it
NetBeans? Not nearly as massive (but still quite large)
- Komodo Edit, a rather nice lightweight programmers' editor
- gVim, the logical alternative to the above
Cygwin I vote no, it's horrible [DAA]
- an X11 server, perhaps the one packaged with Cygwin
Thunderbird or another mail client Second [RVS]
an MPD client (http://sccs.swarthmore.edu/~cbr/PlayGUI/) how about gmpc + gtk? [RVS]