|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 68:||Line 68:|
= Linux machines =
* Add a root user and nuke the initial unprivileged user
* Set up NFS:
* Add the machine to DNS if it isn't there already
* Add the ethernet (MAC) address to madako's /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf if it isn't there already
* Add the machine to the 'sharemgr share' output on Musundo
* Add the fstab line (copy off martello or something)
* mount -a and hope
* Set up ["LDAP"]
* Install packages: zsh, ncurses-term, vim
One day, it would be nice to have a standard operating environment for UCC clubroom machines. Currently the state of them could be described as varying degrees of broken, partly due to having no defined procedure for setting them up. The purpose of this page is to brainstorm what this procedure should be.
Steps marked with require a wheel member, anything else can be done by a winadmin.
Steps to do before/during installation
Add forward and reverse DNS entries for the machine. Not essential for setup
Add the machine to DHCP. Not essential for setup
Add the machine to Samba (create a local account for it on musundo). Probably only needs to be added in LDAP, and thus could be made available to winadmins via ACLs
Install Windows XP SP2 and configure it to be part of the domain 'UCCDOMAIN'. why does this require wheel rights?
- Install device drivers (graphics and sound most importantly).
- Set up printing.
- Add Winadmins to computer administrators.
Configure WPKG. Install WPKG Client 1.2.1.msi, and load settings.xml, both in //musundo/wpkg
- Turn Windows Updates on to fully-automatic.
- Add static route for 220.127.116.11/26: at a command prompt, type
route add -p 18.104.22.168 MASK 255.255.255.192 22.214.171.124
Software to install
Software in this list should either be free to download and install, or something that the UCC has a license for. Some preference is given to software which is [http://wpkg.org/Category:Silent_Installers easily deployed with WPKG].
- Media Player 11
- Adobe Reader
- F-Prot Antivirus \\musundo\fprot\ contains installers (use the MSI packages) and license codes in licenses.txt.
Daemon Tools (v3.46 was the last release before it was bundled with spyware, see http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/download.php?mode=Download&id=70)
- Windows Live messenger
- Google Talk
- irfanview (and the plugin that knows about jpeg orientation jfif tags)
- DirectX 9 runtime
- Eclipse? Massive but apparently Java programmers love it
NetBeans? Not nearly as massive (but still quite large)
- Komodo Edit, a rather nice lightweight programmers' editor
- gVim, the logical alternative to the above
Cygwin I vote no, it's horrible [DAA]
- Hardware design tools like ..
- SwitcherCADIII (free download with very active support list)
- Ultium Designer (on at least one machine) or Free (limited) version of Eagle
Pushing the UCC CA out over WPKG? http://wpkg.org/SSL_CA_Install
- The GIMP
Installed automatically via WPKG
- Java Runtime Environment
- Firefox 3
- Flash player
PuTTY (also add the binary directory to %PATH% [RVS] - not done yet)
- GTK+ 2.14
Ario (MPD client: http://ario-player.sourceforge.net/)
- Add a root user and nuke the initial unprivileged user
- Set up NFS:
- Add the machine to DNS if it isn't there already
- Add the ethernet (MAC) address to madako's /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf if it isn't there already
- Add the machine to the 'sharemgr share' output on Musundo
- Add the fstab line (copy off martello or something)
- mount -a and hope
- Set up ["LDAP"]
- Install packages: zsh, ncurses-term, vim