The UCC Website
Kinda sucks. We have people fixing it.
It's not just webmasters than can write things to go on the website! E-mail it to us and we'll upload it, and you can apply for membership of webmasters simply by e-mailing the list or by bullying a nearby Wheel member. If you don't want to be a webmaster but do want to add content to the site, the best format to send us the content in is plain text.
To edit a page on the UCC website, you need to first be in the webmasters group (www-data). Next edit the .ucc file for the page you want to edit (NOT the .html, it is dynamically generated from the .ucc file). Check the .html page has updated after changing the .ucc file, sometimes it likes to mess around with you head.
Some .ucc files are actually XML files using the 'grahame' DOCTYPE, others are written in [http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/ Markdown], and both are parsed by the XSL Template /services/http/.build/xhtml11.xsl to become the webpage that the user sees. If you are feeling masochistic you are free to read the xsl file to try and understand the format used, but reading the existing pages is easier. In the interests of future compatability and upgrades, try and use markdown instead of DOCTYPE grahame, it's much more portable.
Pages that should be written
IRC server [irc://mussel.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au/#ucc] - well we have a page at irc.ucc, but it needs to be less 'policy' and more 'how-to'
PostgreSQL/MySQL? these are actually useful if you know about them. There's also several installations, up to one per machine - should consolidate if appropriate. DRAFT at http://ucc.asn.au/services/sql.ucc
Pages that need updating
- FAQ - incorrect and largely redundant "I vote we just get rid of it, we have so many questions that we need a wiki, not an FAQ [BOB]"
- Newsletters - someone upload the 06 Murphy's Lore?
- snack.ucc - needs some new pics, and updating
- news.ucc - needs about four more lines to make it useful "I think this is redundant, orphaned, and out of date for a reason - nobody uses it. I vote we delete it [BOB]"
- web.ucc - ucc-adduser creates web directories these days, add info about the proxying we do, how you can't use .htaccess to do IP filtering without mod_rewrite, why to not rely on HTTP_CLIENT_IP or whatever the header is, etc.
- ftp.ucc - probably needs reworking for SFTP or deleting entirely
- We really need to update and improve our sponsorship page, that way we have something to offer potential sponsors in the way of exposure