As of May 2011, all of the UCC's Windows machines run Steam. Steam presents an annoying set of problems, as it has not been engineered for a multi-user environment.
IMPORTANT: Winadmins and wheel members; don't run Steam.exe as Administrator. It will screw the permissions again.
To fix steam, you need to set Advanced Permissions (these instructions are for Windows 7):
- Right click Steam directory
- Choose Properties
- Click Advanced button
- Choose "Change Permissions..."
- Delete any group listed except "Everyone", "gumby (UCCDOMAIN\gumby)", "wheel (UCCDOMAIN\wheel)", "winadmin (UCCDOMAIN\winadmin)" and "SYSTEM". If the list is missing any one of these groups, please add them.
- Set groups "Everyone" and "gumby (UCCDOMAIN\gumby)" with all permissions to Allow EXCEPT "Full control", "Take ownership" and "Change permissions", which should not be ticked either way.
- Set other groups to allow "Full Control"
- Select option "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object"
- Choose "Apply"
- Close dialog and choose "Owner" tab
- Ensure that owner is "SYSTEM"; if it is not, change it. Ensure you tick "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects".
How to fix the "Steam requires a case in-sensitive filesystem" problem
- Quit steam
- Open Terminal
cd Library/Application\ Support
rm -r Steam
ln -s /Users/Shared/Steam
- Start steam again
How to fix the "Steam Beta is not running" problem on the Mac when playing TF2
- Completely quit steam
- Open Terminal
Type bash (optional, gives you tab completion)
- Leave terminal open
- Re-open steam
Set up `/opt/steamapps`
Create /opt/FixSteamPerms.sh (copy from existing, or create a script containing chmod -R 777 /opt/steamapps)
- Add a cronjob to re-run that script every five mins or so.
Fix a user's config
(If steam isn't showing any installed games on a machine that has games installed)
Delete existing ~/.steam/steamapps, ~/.steam/steam/steamapps and/or ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps
- Create a symbolic link to /opt/steamapps in those locations
- Start steam
How to do this;
rm -rf ~/.steam/steamapps rm -rf ~/.steam/steam/steamapps rm -rf ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps ln -s /opt/steamapps ~/.steam/steamapps ln -s /opt/steamapps ~/.steam/steam/steamapps ln -s /opt/steamapps ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps steam
Couldn't set up Steam data - please contact technical support
cd ~ rm -rf .steam
- Borderlands etc. segfaulting instantly on startup.
- Install libnss-ldapd:i386
- Steam not starting on Mint 18 / Ubuntu 16.04
- (TODO: Add this to the SOE config) - Start it using the following command LD_PRELOAD='/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6' steam - The cause is an old version of libstdc++ in the steam libs that causes X protocol errors.