Event planning for O'Day 2013.
*Page in progress*
O'Day is on Friday, 22 February 2013. See http://www.guild.uwa.edu.au/home/activities/oday for more information.
- Weather forecast is for a maximum of 28 and increasing sunshine
Our stall is _
We have a number of polos still available, these will be for sale at the stall in the clubroom? [MRD]
Grabbing New Members
- Arrange new-member escorts to the room - the bottom of Cameron Hall has a distinct "you're not supposed to be here" feel, and it would also give the new members a friend right off the bat.
- Arrange people to talk to small groups of freshers in the room.
- Either team up with other Cameron Hall clubs for BIG A2 signage on doors and ground outside or go it alone.
- Give new members $5 free dispense credit (their first dispense encounter!) and get them into the room for a chat with a few friendly 2nd years. 2nd years need to explain to people how to use dispense, as well as what some of the things around the room are/do
- People (committee and wheel) to set up accounts.
- Need a new banner printed for the stall.
- Signage leading from the Guild Reception all the way to UCC would help freshers find the place.
- Posters need to have the UCC name on them in an obvious way, rather than just being you-beaut pictures - it would be nice if poster designs were consistent, you can get the UCC vector logo from /space/services/http/logos
- UCC is older than the Department of Computer Science - 39th year this year. We are also older than the first UNIX users group, the Homebrew Computer Club and the Chaos Computer Club.
- Cool stuff:
- Internet coke machine - first one in Australia! (And the Southern Hemisphere)
- Snack machine that not only gets us snacks using a smartcard, but also gets us into the clubroom
- Clubroom - dozens of different sorts of computers. Eat your e-mail, read your lunch. Our clubroom is open more often than any club on campus.
- Access to webspace, e-mail, computers to experiment with, fully stocked projects bench with tools
- For CS students: an excellent way to get exposure to the stuff you won't get taught.
- Also, good place to organise with other smart people
- For non-CS students: a chance to play with the kind of equipment you only see in university and corporate environments.
- Good place to go for general computer help
- Gamers as well - LANs etc
- Not just a student club. Plenty of interesting people around
- People working on Mozilla, GNOME, Flock, Songbird (Yakk's still old guard, right?), Linux, Avahi, plenty of other stuff
We should down play this. UCC is a student club first and foremost.
- A social club, too - our myraid events like LAN's, programming comps, dinners, quiz night, pizza nights, movie nights
- Close relationship with other CH clubs - but you don't have to join them all
- Begin today by going up to the club, and come to Fresher's Welcome Pizza Night next week and AGM shortly after
The Fresher Guide is in the process of being redesigned and the content updated. [M12] is working on this. There will be a fresher guide writing night/s organised by [M12]
(In name - time - what format)
- Jono Astbury - 9:00 to 5:00 - People puller, cashier and running man
- Bob - all day - master of bacon and sombreros
- Jeremy - 10am - 2ish: Consuming souls of the freshers...
- Dylan - All day but between clubs - I'll be most use for set-up, pack-down and running to and fro.
- David - 10:30ish on - A bit of everything.
- find a marquee, and how to get tables and pinup boards from the guild
- [DTK] will bring his, same as last year. 3 x 3m.
- room cleanup
- Fresher's Guide
Membership forms - need another 120-150 copies - master available at http://ucc.asn.au/2013membershipform.pdf
- Membership stickers
- design posters
The few days before
- do a snack run, the machine has to be absolutely full
- post a link with dispense instructions on the snack and coke machine. It would also be good if we could have the button labels matching what is actually in the machine (at least at the start of semester)
- print posters
- check committee can add new members
- check machines are all working, upgrade whatever needs upgrading, clear big/old cached user profiles
On the day
- vacuum clubroom
- set up tables, boards, and marquee
- DECterm for drinks
- set up posters, banners
- make sure posters are up that lead from guild reception to UCC